Friday, October 3, 2008

Whitney GPS tracks

I just wrote about Kevin and I hiking Mt. Whitney. Kevin was nice enough to carry his GPS up there so I didn't have to carry mine. I have a Garmin 296 portable aviation GPS that is much bigger than Kevin's hiking Garmin etrex legend GPS. Unfortunately, the GPS lost track a lot due to having limited sky exposure at points. Some places had rock cliffs all around which made the GPS lose signal, but if you piece all the tracks together, it provides a pretty good track of the hike. There are a few spots that jump off the trail and I think those are from when the GPS got it's signal back, but the accuracy was still low. Here are some picks of the hike using Google Earth.


Overview of the trail



Top down view



View from Trail Camp including some of the switchbacks, which was just to the south (left) of the lake.


View of Mt. Whitney from Trail Camp.



No comments:

Post a Comment