Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lame video to break the silence

Here is a video of me testing an inflatable life vest. Michelle and I plan on flying out over the Pacific, such as to Catalina Island, and although we'll usually be within gliding distance of land, the vests were cheap off ebay. I don't have to have the vests officially inspected since I don't fly for hire, but I wanted to test them before relying on them so I fired them off then replaced the CO2 containers. I know this video is lame, but that is part of the fun :)


2 comments:

  1. Nice fashion statement. I don't know that you could survive the impact with the water - even in a controlled glide, and even if you did - getting out of the plane wouldn't be the easist thing...but I guess it's better than nothing.

    When are you planning on going to Catalina?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditching in water has a good enough track record, certainly not perfect, but better with life vests. The vests are inflatable so they are small and "easy" to maneuver until you are free from the airplane. They also don't try to pin you to an air pocket in the airplane as is sinks. I wouldn't fly over water if I really believed I couldn't survive an engine out situation. We went there this weekend, just for lunch, and then flew to Catalina to visit family. Have to admit I was disappointed with the airport "restaurant", it was more of a bus stop cafeteria, but the DC3 was excellent.

    ReplyDelete