Friday, November 13, 2009

Visualizing IFR approaches

I haven't been IFR legal for 3 years now, but I want to start getting back into the swing of things. On the way back from getting the pitot-static and transponder check, I decided to do some VFR practice approaches. I didn't have a safety pilot so I was unable to go "under the hood" and log the approaches and I had to keep an eye out for traffic, so I didn't get any simulated practice, but it is a great way to start knocking the rust of the procedures part of flying IFR.

I found a great website with instructions on how to overlay GPS tracks and maps and import them into Google Earth. I scanned the approach plates of the approaches I flew and calibrated them per the instructions so I can overlay my GPS track and the intended approach. Here is the site with the instructions. http://lets-go-fly.com/GPS-training-aid.pdf

Here are some pictures I captured. I only spent a little time adjusting the opacity of the maps so that you can see the Google Earth satellite view underneath so the map is pretty faded, but I think you can see all the pertinent information.

Here is the 2D VOR-B approach into Fox Field near Lancaster, CA (KWJF). I like this view because you can easily see the effect of the wind on my hold entries and holding pattern. I actually wasn't going to practice any holding, but the controller got busy and issued a hold so I got some practice anyways. I'd like to think I would have done a better job of compensating for the wind on successive holds had I done them.


Here is the 3D approach for VOR-B at WJF.


Here is the 2D ILS-25 approach into Palmdale, CA (KPMD) just south-east of WJF. I received vectors to the final approach course and was limited to a 3000 ft DH by the tower instead of the published 2703 ft.


Here is the 3D ILS-25 approach at PMD. My DH was limited on this approach, that's why it doesn't look like I get very low to the ground.


After the ILS, I had enough fun for the day so I decided to head back home to Inyokern. Now I just have to do some more reviewing, finish my checklists, and then start flying with a safety pilot on my way back to regaining my IFR currency.

No comments:

Post a Comment