Saturday, January 26, 2008

Five dead after car crashes off end of private airstrip

This headline came from CNN.com; here's the link. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/26/airstrip.car.crash/index.html
It's weird to say I'm glad these idiots are dead, but I am. This way the story made it into the national media and maybe some of these idiots will think twice before they use a runway for a drag strip. I think this is becoming a big issue and that people don't yet realize it's seriousness. I personally (and my now wife) were almost killed due to this same thing. I was landing at night at Anoka County (Jane's Field) just outside of Minneapolis, MN. Since it was dark out, I couldn't see the 2 cars racing towards me. They had their headlights off and were racing each other with only their running lights on. I didn't see them until I was about 50 feet above the runway. I firewalled the throttle and overflew them as I climbed back up. If I hadn't seen them, there would have been at least 4 people killed that night (not including any passengers they might have had). I called the police after I landed. Of course the racers were gone by then, but the officer said they have had similar complaints before. Hopefully the new security requirements at airports make it harder for people to gain access to airport runways. I truly hope the people who are caught for this kind of crap aren't just slapped on the wrist or charged with trespassing. It needs to be a felony for reckless behavior or something so that it doesn't become a bigger problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment