Wednesday, April 9, 2008

N951CC to CA Day 1

Well I'm on day 4 of my flight from Manitowoc, WI (KMTW) to Inyokern, CA (KIYK) and I'm stuck again due to weather so I might as well post about my trip this far.

Originally I had planned on leaving Monday morning (4/7/08), but the weather in WI was threatening so I had thought about leaving Sunday afternoon. My family was having a get together for a late Easter since the family wasn't together on the actual holiday. My parents had other plans that night so I'd be able to get away and start flying back to CA. The forecast became worse so I decided to take-off Sunday morning. I felt bad because I wasn't able to visit my brothers, but if I didn't get out I'd be stuck in bad weather.

Since the storm that was rolling in was also coming through the middle of the country, I flew straight south instead of south-west so that I would have an extra day of good weather in case I needed it. I had planned on flying 3 flights that day each being about 3 hours. My first stop was supposed to be in Farmington, MO (KFAM), but there was a NOTAM (notice to airmen) that the field didn't have fuel, so instead I landed nearby at Fredricktown, MO (H88). It was a little field, but a gentlemen met me at the fuel pump and gave me a hand. The fuel there was only $3.95 (cheap compared to the $5.22 I paid at De Kalb, Il (KDKB)). I was able to borrow the airports courtesy car and drive into town for lunch. After lunch I was back on my way and my next stop was in Paris, TX (KPRX). Since I was running well behind schedule, I decided not to fly the third leg and got a taxi into town.

UPDATE: I decided to upgrade Google Earth to allow GPS tracks, here was my flight for day 1 to CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment