Wednesday, April 9, 2008

N951CC to CA Day 2

For day 2, I had planned at stopping at Odessa, TX (KODO) for my next stop, but after looking at the map closer, I'd be descending through class C airspace, which isn't that big of a deal, but it would be easier if I just went a little further and land at Winkler, TX (KINK). As I was getting closer, I was checking the weather at the airports and Winkler started getting very strong winds and Odessa was still in good conditions so I decided to land at Odessa anyways. It was a short stop there and I picked up the weather briefing for my next leg. There was now an AIRMET (it warns pilots of bad weather) for moderate to severe turbulence and strong winds along the route. The forecast winds at my destination were not too bad and I had just flown in with no turbulence so I figured I'd give it a shot. If it gets bad I can always turn around and land at the nearest airport.

Well of course I had turbulence on my entire climb out. I called up flight service to get an update on my destination forecast and of course that was now also bad. Winkler airport was just in front of me and the winds weren't too terribly bad at this point so I landed there for the night.

When I went to tie-down, there were only thin chains there. I'm used to regular chains with hooks on them. I asked the man in the FBO if I was supposed to tie the chains like a rope or what I was supposed to do. After harassment for quite awhile about being unprepared and not knowing the hardware that is being used at the airports, he showed me how to tie a knot with a chain. This day hadn't gone as planned so why should I figure it'd get better now? He tied it really quickly and went back into the building saying I did one, you have to figure out the rest. I must have been there for 20 minutes trying to figure out his knot. I managed to do one on the other wing tie-down, but didn't know how I did it. Eventually he drove back out and showed me again and I think I learned it. He gave me a ride into town to a motel there. At least I was safe on the ground with a room for the night.

UPDATE: Here is the GPS track of day 2 to CA

No comments:

Post a Comment