Saturday, December 27, 2008

We made it to UT!

Michelle and I have been anticipating our trip to UT for a while now and we finally made it. We had to cancel last week due to weather and we almost had to cancel this week, but we shifted the trip a day instead to be Sat, Sun, Mon instead of Fri, Sat, Sun.

The air temperature at Inyokern was about 28 degrees so I really would have liked a preheat, but we don't have those services available. I've been trying to get into a hanger since I got the airplane, but the manager still hasn't worked anything out for me. I'm not sure if it helps at all, but the morning sun was shining under the shade hanger and directly on the nose of the airplane, I'll never know if this lessened the crime. I backed the airplane out to get some sun on the tail to get rid of the trace frost on the elevator, which was gone quickly.

The flight was absolutely wonderful, this is what flying is all about!!! The heater worked just fine to keep us comfortable, but the cool air made for an extremely smooth flight. The snow covering the landscape made it even more scenic. I was cleared through China Lake and Echo restricted airspaces and we headed right for Vegas. Unfortunately, we didn't get to directly overfly Vegas and Lake Mead since we'd interfere with the Las Vegas airline traffic.

The scenery got incredibly better the further we got into Utah. We overflew Zion and circled around getting some pretty good video. It was difficult to find slot canyons that Zion is such famously known for. After flying around Zion, we descended and headed towards Cedar City. The winds were calm so we entered a right downwind for right traffic for runway 20, the calm wind runway. As we were flying parallel to the runway, I called and asked for the conditions of the runway, which were reported as pretty clear and dry. The runway looked pretty patchy with snow and ice, but the landing was uneventful and I rolled without using brakes until I slowed down and wouldn't have to worry about skidding or sliding.

The local FBO had some space available and I was able to put it into their heated hanger. This will eliminate the need for a preheat and prevent frost from forming on the airframe. My Uncle Errol met us at the airport and took us to check into our hotel room. We got some quick lunch then went back to go over the plan for tomorrow where we're going to do a scenic overflight of Lake Powell and several surrounding National Parks. Errol's daughter Kimberly invited us over to dinner and we enjoyed an excellent spaghetti dinner where we met her daughter Tarren (sp?).

Here's a picture of the four of us at Kimberly's house. I'll post again once I have the videos downloaded.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog - it helped be get my wife over the hump in our decision to buy a plane. Question - have you ever tried to get one or more full size but disassembled bicycles into your 182? I am looking for a plane that I can get three adults and three bicycles into. I have heard that two bicycles and two people is no problem - but I am trying to find someone who has done it.

    Erich
    Erich@enernex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erich,

      Sorry, I haven't had bikes in there yet. I used to take my bike in a 172, but that was just me with 1 bike. Yes, 2 bikes and 2 adults should be fine, especially if you remove the back seat. Something you as the owner can do as long as you have an appropriate W&B from your A&P. 3 adults would mean no removing the back seat. I don't think you'd fit 3 bikes with 3 adults, not to say it can't possibly be done, but it won't be easy.

      If you have an extended baggage compartment, this MAY increase your odds of 3 bikes. I'm not familiar with the extended baggage areas, I just know they exist.

      Jayson

      Delete