Monday, February 22, 2010

N951CC flies to Ontario, CA

Now that Katie is starting to stand and climb all over everything, we wanted to go and look for a mini chair for her. We also picked up a bunch of diapers, a toy chest, and a bunch of other stuff. We had taken the bigger stroller with us for all the walking we did so we had a heck of a time fitting it all into the airplane on the way back. We made it fit and the flight was great.

I had requested and been approved by approach control to circle north of the airport to descend after flying through Cajon pass. The tower however wanted me to fly direct to the runway. I'm not sure why I came back saying I think I could make it, but the controller said I had "miles" when it was right in front of me and I was 3000 AGL (2000 above the pattern altitude). Ontario is a class C airport, which means it's a busy airport with airliners, but not quite Chicago or Los Angeles (class B). I try to cooperate as much as possible in order to not disrupt the flow of other traffic. In this case, I should have said unable and re-requested to circle. I had to fly an extended forward slip to descend in time and I used most of the 2 mile long runway to touchdown.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, no kidding about that forward slip. The new camera mount is very nice!

    ReplyDelete